Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Man Who Ate Everything

The Man Who Ate EverythingThe Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Although this book seems a little daunting and maybe even a bit tedious for someone who dislikes cooking PLEASE read it. Steingarten is very witty and makes most chapters of this book something memoirable. Very much like Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, this book is ten times better. Sure I loved that Bourdain took me to various countries and stuff and the experiences were great but he just wasn't witty enough! Steingarten takes you all over the place as well but giving you great recipes to add to your collection as well as smart ass factoids like what amount of newtons a good cooking pot should weigh. My favourite part that I have had on the brain for the last few days is when Steingarten is at medieval times and he's wanting to mention to management that there is a really out of control guest sitting beside him (screaming and hollering) and then he looks more closely and realizes it's his wife! PRICELESS! I would also love to try the horse fat fries, and i'm not against horses as I have 2 of my own and love them dearly, but come on, my mouth was watering after the description of how lovely they were. The most admirable thing that Steingarten wrote was his mantra to get into this project. He wrote down all the things that he didn't like or wouldn't eat, then he gradually trained himself to get over it and eat majority of them. Sure somethings he didn't budge on, but there's always going to be something like that somewhere. I too have done the same thing with certain foods that now happen to be some of my favourites, ie. oatmeal (i eat it everyday in the winter.....so warm and tasty), *MOST* seafood (i love it and would eat it everyday if i could), yogurt (great for when you're really sick and you can't eat much of anything, and it goes down nice and cool and doesn't irritate the stomach!) and a few other things. Enjoy the food you eat and eat the food you enjoy!

View all my reviews

No comments: