Sunday, September 1, 2013

Presumed Guilty

Presumed GuiltyPresumed Guilty by Tess Gerritsen
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

When I was purchasing this book, I saw the cover and that it was by Gerritsen and I was like Yes! A gritty novel that I haven't read by Gerritsen. (I have read all her other novels and was kind of surprised that I had missed this one, but it was only released in the last little while.) As I am getting ready to read the book there is a note to the reader from Gerritsen. The note basically says that Harlequin Mira is releasing her previous works before she was a crime/thriller writer and she hopes that the reader enjoys her works. The only reason this book is getting two stars is because I was unable to guess who the killer was. There were so many possibilities and just when you think it was that particular character a fact was released that proved their innocence. The crime scene that started the book wasn't all that gritty or gorey. There was no real incidents of very in depth detail about a murder or crime scene after the one incident that was the books' main focus. I guess the problem with this book was that I am so used to reading Gerritsen's hardcore, nasty, suspenseful, gorey scenes that this book had no chance of measuring up. I realize that this book and a few other books that are yet to be released, were her starting point before she got to the crime/thriller genre. The book being published by Harlequin, I was kind of surprised. There wasn't any really continuous steamy drama between the main characters, or anything that would really get someone's hormones excited. (Now maybe that is me being prejudice assuming that all Harlequin books are meant to be hot and steamy.) The one thing I did really enjoy and thought Gerritsen did an amazing job capturing was the scenery of Maine and the main town of Bass Harbour where the story took place.

View all my reviews

No comments: