Sunday, December 31, 2017

We Need to Talk About Kevin

We Need to Talk About KevinWe Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is an epistolary novel from a wife written to her ex husband. This book kind of reminded me about Columbine but the difference was there was something strange about Kevin right from the start. He bonded with his father but had NO BOND whatsoever with his mother. If I were to guess maybe I would say that Kevin had Oppositional Defiant Disorder to some extent and then he just cracked. The court case part of the story is hard because (if you watch any court stuff on tv) things get pryed and looked in to which can be very troubling and disheartening. I did enjoy the book but I had read it before. Some of the things Eva says to Kevin are things that you would never expect to come out of a mother's mouth but she truly has no feeling and a disconnect with her son. This book also discusses the point of a successful career woman in the travel industry who is expected to give up her job, which she loves, and become a stay at home mum as per her husband's request and assumption. There are a lot of controversial points in this book but it does make for a good talking piece.


View all my reviews

No comments: