Sunday, April 27, 2008

Book Review - Strandia


Dear Reader,

I just finished reading a book written by one of my mentors and I felt that I should share the the review with you. As you will notice this is the same mentor that taught both of the erotic writing workshops. This book won the Canadian Library Association's Young Adult Book of the Year.

Book Title – Strandia
Author – Susan Lynn Reynolds

The book is of the fiction genre but in some way I found that it could be a reality, not now but in the future. Sue created many words and I was astounded by the variety of vocabulary. The book is about a woman, Sand, who can talk to dolphins telepathically. She leaves the special island of Strandia as punishment for a crime which was quite petty to her but very serious to the people of the island of Strandia. Sand finally comes to another island where she learns there is a different way of life besides that of her homeland. Eventually Sand is caught in a situation where she must choose whether to go home to Strandia or stay with the continent she has called her new home. The book was very riveting and had me wanting to continue to read it constantly. The characters were very well described and the book was written so that you were right there with them. I enjoyed Sand's interaction with the characters from the continent because she had to learn to adapt to their language, lifestyle, and other important life skills, which Sue explained perfectly. Sand's connection with one particular dolphin, M'ridan, is so different yet elegantly described, it made me want to have a friend as close as that. This book was truly well written and I consider it an honour to know the author. I definitely suggest reading it because it is different and makes your brain think about how life could be.

No comments: