Thursday, November 23, 2006

Book Review - The Sexual Life of Catherine M.

Dear reader, I am very passionate about reading books and trying to educate myself on things I really don’t know a lot about. In my travels I came across The Sexual Life of Catherine M. by Catherine Millet. The book is about her sex life while she was traveling around Rome and Paris, which was very promiscuous. Some would consider her book as erotica (I did), others may describe it as passionate detail about the bond between people in a sexual relationship (another way I looked at it), and others may consider it a kind of book about a slut (I did not think this way). There were many things I liked about the book, first being that I had never read about anyone’s sexual experiences or travels in this type of writing. In each chapter written, she refers back to many of the same experiences she has had and how they are able to be viewed descriptively in another way (preferably the chapter title). The thing I most enjoyed about the book is how passionately she wrote about what it was like to touch someone, how the skin felt against another’s, and what emotions would be caused by such intimate reactions. The way the whole book is written is in a very analytical and descriptive sense. She had many different partners but the ones that actually made an impact on her sex life and her life are the ones she consistently refers back to. There are many times though for the sake of adding some sort of drama to the book, she will talk about rugged sex she had in an alley with a complete stranger, or maybe how other people would create a conflict when they were deciding at parties who would get to BE with Catherine. It’s a book of a very different sort. It definitely got me thinking about my own sex life, and how little I have actually experienced, not just in the sense of having few partners but also the lack of certain feelings. I am in no way saying I want to be a lady of the night and do everything and everyone in the next 2 or 3 towns, but some of the experiences she had might lead to interesting tales, endings, and what have you.

The next book I am reading is For One More Day by Mitch Albom, who is the author of the amazing Tuesday’s with Morrie. I must say that this book is very much like Tuesday’s, which is good because I really did not enjoy The 5 People You Meet in Heaven. I found that book was very religious and it got me distracted from the actual story, which was too bad. For One More Day may have the same effect as Tuesday’s because I have a feeling that it will leave the reader with a couple of tears at the end of the book. I have a positive attitude and look forward to reviewing it when I have finished it.

No comments: