Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tribute to Ben, Sparty and Newt






Ben ( Ben Hur)


Sparty (Spartacus)

Newt

Dear Reader,

Some unfortunate news but we all knew this day would be coming. My calves Ben, Sparty and Newt left today. No they didn't go for meat they went to a better place where they will be fed like piggies and get to make new friends. After that the rest is history.

I want to write a tribute to them because they were the first babies actualluy born on the farm and it was such a great learning experience as well as enlightening. Each day one of the babies was born was really special because I gave them names and got to see them learn how to stand and then eventually walk. For each baby there was a lot of wobbles on the first day they were born. As I got to watch them grow like most mothers watch their kids I got to see them develop personalities and traits that were specific to each one. Ben was the first bornn and he was always very docile and quiet, much like his mother Molly. Sparty was the argumentitive baby that was always disagreeing with whoever was handling him, (I didn't handle him often because I couldn't deal with his attitude when it was bad!). Newt, my precious little boy, was the most outgoing, curious and well socialized of the group. Because Newt learned to be led around at a younger age, it was his forte, while the others were not far behind in excelling at their leading skills. The funny thing is Dad was fixing the fence in the cows paddock the other day and Newt was around being silly of course. Dad said that he actually stole the hammer while it was on the ground and he was running around with the hammer in his mouth, while dad was chasing him trying to get it back. I don't know about you, but it definitely makes me chuckle a little bit. The times that Dad and I would go out to the field and all the cows would start a mini stampede and kids would always be the first to kick up their heels. It was so much fun to watch them play and frolick with the mums.
All my boys I am very proud of and they all turned out to be wonderful babies. Ben, Sparty and Newt you were the joy of my life when you were at the farm, and I loved you with all my heart. Seeing you grow up I can relate to mothers with children, just in a different way. No other babies will replace you because you guys were the first and will always be. Even though new arrivals are making me excited for June/ July time, you guys will never be replaced and in my heart you will always have a spot. Love Mum/ Sarah.



Ben and his mother, Molly

Newt, his mother Scarlett and Sparty

No comments: