Thursday, August 31, 2017

Lord of the Flies

Lord of the FliesLord of the Flies by William Golding
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I 'read' this book in high school because it was mandatory and at the time I hated it. It didn't make sense, there were so many metaphors and I found some parts just plain weird/messed up. I had the chance to read it again since it was one of the books on the BBC Big Read list. I could have chosen quite a few books but this one spoke to me. I wanted to give it the chance to prove itself when I am at the most open my book taste will ever be. The premise of boys being on a deserted island with no adults was very interesting. There's some boys that you learn about that you're like “Hey, he seems ok and they might have a chance if they listen to him.” Of course there is the 'bad seed' character that tries to get people to go with him and follow his ways whether they are right or wrong. I never saw the movie Lord of the Flies but apparently there is one. For me this was like the movie The Beach with Leonardo DiCaprio (only The Beach was made with adults). There are some things that make the movie, The Beach, different but I find there is still a lot of similarities. Similarities being island fever, trying to have order within the group, how certain things are going to be dealt with ie. Shelter, hunting, bathing, etc. I was able to give this book a fair chance and while I wouldn't give it a four or five star rating, I think that a 3.5 would be great but a 3 will have to suffice for Goodreads. There are many different sociological aspects to this book and it is tested and proved/disproved by how things play out in the book. The strongest characters in the book would be Ralph and Jack, but I would give Piggy some credit as well even though he was the nerdy weirdo of the group. When things start to go wrong all Hell breaks lose. It's an interesting read but one thing I will give Golding huge credit for is he described the scenery of the island quite beautifully. I wouldn't mind going to that island and just being on my own solitary journey.




No comments: