Wednesday, March 26, 2008

RIP Rose - March 25, 2008


Dear Reader,

I have some very unfortunate news to share with you. My cat, Rose, passed away last night in her sleep. I was calling my dad at work (he’s a vet) this morn to see how she was doing and I was told this terrible news. I was upset that no one had called me to tell me this had happened but there’s nothing I could do about this. Rose was at the vet clinic because she was acting strange in the last two days. She was sleeping in her litter box and just looked completely depressed. Mum convinced my dad that this was odd enough behaviour and that she should be checked out just to make sure she was ok. Well when my dad got the results things were not the way they should have been. Rose’s body had started destroying it’s own red blood cells which is what is a form of anemia in cats. This anemia is different then what we as people get, which is a lack of iron and usually b12. Dad had started treatments on her and he said that she seemed to be responding to them. Then he went to work this morn and found her curled up in a ball, what appeared to be sleeping but had passed. Dad said that she didn’t suffer at all and wasn’t in any pain. Rose was 13 years old which is not ancient for a cat so dad had said that she would be able to recover from this and live a few decent more years.

Rose was a special cat. She had one blue eye and a green eye, and a very stunning appearance. She did have times when she got quite cranky (who doesn’t) but in the last year she had become more lovable and approachable. I found Rose often nestled on bed with Zoe (our other cat) close by, napping the day away. Rose was 13 years old and I got her when I was in grade 6 . I was staying at a friends house and there had been a litter of kittens and I couldn’t part with Rose so I was allowed to take her home. In her hay day Rose was a bit naughty, she chewed many a toilet flusher, and anything else she could get her teeth on. When she moved to the farm she liked the freedom and how social she could be.

Rose, you will be dearly missed by both my parents and myself. I hope that you are pain free and in a better place where there is no suffering. We will place you with our other beloved pets that have passed so that you are not alone, and stone will be engraved with your name to mark your place. With love, Sarah.

I thought I would put some quotes that Princess Diana had said as a nice way to finish this piece off and help with my grieving.

Bereavement is an experience of change and adjustment.” - Princess Diana

Tears move through us, wash us clean, and create the space for something new.” - Princess Diana

When a person dies, their spirit hangs around to watch for a while.” - Princess Diana said this to Paul Burrell, her butler, when his mother passed away.

In life what sometimes appears to be the end is really a new beginning.” - Author Unknown

No comments: