Wednesday, May 2, 2007

I Am The Maker of SOCKS....with Pom Poms of Course!!!


Dear Reader, I am quite excited to inform you that I have finally finished knitting my first pair of socks. They are of the tube sock family but for some comfy socks around the house I am very pleased. As you can see in the picture the socks also have a neon pink pom pom on the outside of the sock. At first I had trouble making the pom poms but then I switched to an ‘easier to read’ set of instructions and made 2 great pom poms. I haven’t given them to Erin yet but if she reads this she’ll know they’re done. I hope she likes them.

Book Review – Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures – Vincent Lam

When I first bought this book I was unsure what I was getting into. I thought it was going to be stories about making the victim bleed to get poison or toxins out and then the survival of the victim after such a procedure. The miraculous cures part, I thought it might be about going to an African Village and giving the children and adults vaccines that would save their lives from diseases that run rampant in the country. No way, I couldn’t have been more wrong if I tried. The book actually was a work of fiction but it was almost as if it was a reality. It followed the lives of 3 dr’s that went through medical school together, 2 were successful and got through on the first try the 3rd had to work really hard to get the grades and be accepted for his fellowship. It was really interesting because it went into detail about when the dr’s were in school having to work on cadavers and how since they are working on them, they are to maintain a state of respectable behaviour towards the cadavers. As they go throughout their careers you see them working in different areas of the medical industry. One was a helicopter dr who would go on missions to various countries to try and bring patients back to Toronto so they could get the proper medical attention they needed to survive. The book even took SARS as a topic and it watched how it affected the 3 dr’s individually, as well as the relationship between the 2 successful dr’s. The book was very interesting and it gave you a “Situation Critical” (a tv program on TLC) look at how the dr’s got to be who they were and how they got there, as well as struggles they faced within their careers and their lives. It was an excellent book and once I got into it I couldn’t put it down.

Movie Review – The Queen

Helen Mirren, yet again did a fabu job of being the queen. I did a smile count (since the Queen smiling is such a rarity), there was 1 really good smile and then 2 little smiles that were only for the public so I really didn’t feel they were heart felt. The part where she does the real smile is fantastic, unexplainable really. The Queen, she really was a snobby old bitch, and I don’t like to put it those words but they best describe the way she was. I figured many years ago, when Diana was still alive that the Queen probably didn’t like her because Diana was a radical compared to the Queen’s family, but the movie brought a whole different light to the hate or shall I say dislike towards Diana. Although the Queen did not like Diana, her actions showed a cold old biddy that sits in her castle and does as she pleases. Such actions did not go over well with the population because Diana was known as the “People’s Princess” and even the the Queen may not have liked her, she should have done more out of respect for Charles, and the two princes. The Queen may have been a major focus of the film, but I also got the impression that Diana was the underlying story. The movie also brought to light how big a deal it is to be elected Prime Minister is England, but you have to have the permission of the Queen to do so, as well as how appropriate Tony Blair handled the media and such surrounding Diana’s death. Without his convincing the Queen wouldn’t have done half the things he suggested, it was too little too late but she sort of came around. Like I said at the top, Helen Mirren did another excellent job of playing the role of the Queen only this time it was Queen Elizabeth II. The actors who played Prince Charles and Tony Blair (The guy who was in the first movie of UNDERWORLD, head of the Lichens) did a fabu job as well. The characters were portrayed very well and it brought an incident that was so tragic under the microscope for further examining. FABU

Movie Review – Night At the Museum

This movie review will be short and sweet but in a good way. I really enjoyed this movie because it brought out the kid in me. As a kid I liked going to museums, seeing dinosaur exhibits, animal exhibits and all kinds of historical exhibits. Ben Stiller is a father that has come on hard times but decides to convince the lady at the temp agency that he needs the job she has no matter what it is. It just so happens that he ends up becoming the night watch man at a museum that is very magical. I don’t want to give away anything about the movie because that’s the special part. All I can say is there were some very good stars in it: Ben Stiller, Carla Gugino, Dick Van Dyke, Robin Williams, and there weren’t too many stars. It’s a really good family movie and even though I watched it by myself I really enjoyed it and it made me remember my childhood….which is nice every once and in a while.

ANTM

Tonight was really good on America’s Next Top Model, Brittany went home finally. The girl could take good photos but she had the judges so brainwashed it wasn’t funny. Her excuse of short term memory loss from a car accident in her past saved her 2 weeks ago, and the punk rocker, Jael, went home. Tonight’s challenge was ‘go sees’ and Brittany failed miserably, not one of the designers she saw said they would book her. This was a first in ANTM history. When you saw Brittany in her ‘go sees’, she looked very awkward and uncoordinated as well as she was not very personable with the designers. This is an example of when the cool and collected approach does not work or in her case she just took overboard. This was also the show when Tyra photographed the girls, which she was saying would be for a woman magazine and then the girls would then take a shoot for a man’s magazine. Both shoots were with male models which was good. I have to say Tyra’s photos of the girls were amazing. She really has talent in photography and she is able to direct while taking the photos, which must be very difficult. Tyra’s photos were passionate and really sensual, a complete turn around compared to last season when they were Halloween like. There are two girls that are really standing out for me right now, that would be Renee and Jaslene. I like them because they have edge and can really look sexy when they need to, but can also look really soft and plyable. Jaslene is the underdog I think, because the judges said tonight that Renee has the potential to make the most money. Jaslene was turned down from a previous season though and is really using her opportunity to shine. The finale is already booked on my calendar (May 16), be prepared for a follow up for sure.

No comments: