Thursday, May 24, 2007

A Tribute to Shorty


This pic is of Shorty just getting introduced to what would become her favourite place in the winter. This shed was built for them in the summer of '06. Shorty loved the shed in the winter because she stayed nestled in there against the hay, toasty as a bug in a rug.



This pic is of her prodigy Jack. Jack was a wonderful little boy, always curious but never mean. He truly was like his mother. This pic was taken October 18, 2006.

This pic of Shorty was taken May 20, 2007. It had rained on the Friday night so the cows looked nice and clean, almost as if they had a bath. My Dad and I had just given the cows breaky so she is kinda has the just got out of bed look, but that was norm for her, hence the name "Debbie Harry Cow".

This is one of the best pics I have of my wonderful ladies. Shorty is on the left and Bigguh on the right. These two had become the best of friends and will always be friends even though they are not physically together. This pic was also taken May 20, 2007.

Dear reader, I have some sad news to share with you. My mum waited to tell me to this evening and I can completely understand why. The reasoning being I was doing some testing at school and she didn’t want me to be buggered up. My cow Shorty, my Debbie Harry cow, was found dead in the pasture this morning. It was clear to my parents that she had not struggled at all in her passing, and she just looked as if she was sleeping. My wonderful Shorty, struggled over the winter with her bad leg, but she was able to make it to see the wonderful green grass of spring. Shorty was surrounded by lush grass and had a friend (Bigguh) close by, she couldn’t have passed in a more beautiful place. Shorty was one of my first cows and she gave me wonderful memories, some I have shared, others I have kept close to my heart. Shorty was a loving mother of Jack, and she put everything she had into that little guy. Jack truly was a replica of his mother. My favourite thing about Shorty was when you patted her head in a certain way she would wiggle her ears, almost as if to say “Gee that feels nice”. I couldn’t have wanted a nicer cow for one of my first. I hope that wherever Shorty goes, she is in a better place where her leg doesn’t cause her pain and she is able to revisit some friends she has made from her past. I wish her all the best and she will always hold a dear place in my heart, my Shorty, my Debbie Harry cow.

No comments: