Saturday, May 26, 2007

A Picture Is Worth More Than 1,000 Words.... MAAD Photography




Dear Readers, I have a special treat for you today. While I was looking for candidates to be interview prospects, I came across an old school chum of mine. We chat quite frequently and I asked him if he would be interested in doing an interview. He very happily said yes, but asked me how I would benefit from doing this interview and posting it on my blog. I said well the benefit to me is learning about PHOTOGRAPHY (that's right folks, that's what we're learning about today!) So I would like to gladly introduce Alex and Marianne Doidge of MAAD Photography. They are a new hot young couple, just married a year and they have thrust themselves into the wonderful world of photography. I would like to make a shout out to Alex and Marianne > Thank you for answering all my questions and being so quick to respond. I'm sure you answers will open the inquisitive eyes of the reader to the world of photography.


MAAD Photography Bio

Photography has been a passion of ours for years now. Alex began shooting with digital equipment, and Marianne started with film. In 2007, the full progression to professional digital equipment has allowed us to embrace a level of quality not previously attained. Through our experience of working in photo labs for one of Canada's largest corporate retailers, as well as selling digital equipment, we know quality! By only using the best equipment available, we ensure that our skills and abilities will produce a result that never disappoints!
We enjoy all types of photography, from portraiture, wedding, nature, and macro photography just to name a few. With Marianne and Alex's immense attention to detail and ability to see things on the grand scale, we are able to capture the moments for you, so you may keep and treasure them for all of time.
And remember, we're flexible, and you are our client. With MAAD Photography, you’ll “See the difference, feel the difference!” and have an experience like no other!
- Marianne and Alex

Some of the business clients we have served include:

1 Hour Signs, Barrie
Basketball Ontario, North York
Edible Arrangements, Barrie
Georgian College, Barrie
Lawrence Park, Barrie
Royal LePage, Barrie


A Picture Is Worth More Than 1,000 Words, the interview

What makes you passionate about photography?

M: Hmmm… the first question of the interview and you have to make it a hard one! *chuckle* Photography is like a superpower, you can capture an image for ever. That image will remind people of the past, perhaps even from a historical perspective. Can power like that cause you to be more passionate?

A: Photographs last a lifetime. It’s a way of ensuring that people now and in the future know you existed :)

What is your most favourite event to photograph?

M: Weddings and Events! With weddings, after the dinner and the cake is done, and everyone goes home, they have their photos and their memories. The memories will fade over time, but the photos will last long after the memories have disappeared.

With Events, such as Shinerama at Georgian College, people are animated and always have so much fun. Photographs do a wonderful job at capturing the joy and excitement.

A: My favourite event to photograph is Weddings. I enjoy the pressure, I enjoy the atmosphere and how it keeps me on my toes. It’s exciting, it’s challenging, and when it’s all said and done, I can review the shots I got and look back on a day full of memories!

What was the hardest thing to learn, when you were learning about photography?

M: I’d have to say it was paying attention to how the photos were composed and exposed right out of the camera, since there is very little post processing that could be done with film compared to digital.

A: I would say the hardest thing for me to learn was to keep in mind of all my surroundings and ensure that everything I captured blended together with the environment that I was in. When you are in a situation such as a wedding, you have to be a photographer, a good communicator, a psychologist, and sometimes a mind-reader to ensure everything goes as planned.

When photographing something, what do you make sure you capture with each shot?

A: I always make sure that every shot I capture tells a story, or intertwines with the overall scene of the day. I try to ensure that a picture of a flower is never just a picture of a flower. It’s a picture of a flower that was picked from the garden you see in the background, and garden belonged to the bride’s mother that is no longer with us. Ensure the photograph has depth and brings out emotion.

M: Yeah, what he said. :)

Did you ever ‘picture’ yourself being a photographer? If not what did you see yourself doing as a career?
M: When I was growing up I never thought that I would become a Photographer. I wanted to be an optometrist for awhile. Musician was also on the list. My first semester of college, I actually studied Emergency Medicine at Algonquin. I ended up giving that up because of the politics of the profession at the time. I changed to the Desktop Publishing program to be able to stay in Residence with all my friends for the second semester. I graduated that program but there isn't really all that much demand for Desktop Publishers. I decided to take the year following off to decide my future. After some consideration I decided to study Art at Georgian College. One of my favorite classes during that year was Photography. One thing leads to another after that and here I am now.

A: I never saw myself as a photographer. I don’t think I really ever had a clear picture of whom or what I wanted to be when I “grew up”. This just kind of came along and happened.

What words would you use to describe yourself and why?

A: Kind, positive, and a good listener.

M: It’s a good thing that Alex is a good listener, because I am a good talker! I can make small talk with just about anyone. Of course, like any *good* small talker, I do know when to keep my mouth shut.

If you could have any super power, what would it be and why?

M: I would love the ability to see into the future. Not too far, even just 10 or 15 minutes. It’s not a problem having my camera on me when I am working, but during my down time I do sometimes put the camera down. I would love to know ahead of time when I should have it with me so I don't miss either important, memorable, or funny moments

A: The power to travel through time and see life from different vantage points I think would be pretty cool. I wouldn’t necessarily need to travel through space, just time itself.

What is the worst thing to photograph and why?

A: The worst thing to photograph would have to be a still-birth. We are members of a group called “Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep”. This is a group of photographers that will volunteer their time and be on call day or night for parents that both have a very ill infant or a still-birth and wish to have family photographs taken. I say this would be the worst thing to photograph just because of the complexity of emotions that would rise from such a catastrophic event. I’m glad to extend my abilities to help out a family in grief, but it’s not easy that’s for sure.

M: Anyone looking for more information on this great organization can go to http://www.nilmdts.com/

If you were to spend an evening with any 3 people, who would you choose and why? (You could choose any person from past to present)

M: This is difficult. I would like to say my grandparents, but I have 4 of them who have all passed. How about we lump them into a group and I get to pick two more people? *grins*
I don't remember my dad's mom, she passed when I was just two years old. I hear that she was a riot.
My dad's dad passed almost 4 years ago, but we didn't get to spend much time together before he died. I think I disappointed him with my lack of interest in history though, but I like to think that my interest in music at least partly made up for it.
Mom's mom, my Nanny, lived with us before she passed, and during that time we really became close. It was really hard on my sister and I when we lost her. I held her hand as she died. My first memory is actually of my mom's dad and I driving down the highway in his truck. I was still quite little, still in diapers I think. He drove an old pickup truck that had seen better days. I remember being securely belted in the seat and looking down between my feet and seeing the road pass by under me through the hole in the floor of the truck.

As for those other 2 people we talked about... Kiefer Sutherland because he is hot, and Alex because he is hot too. *grins*

A: Marianne, my brother Jay, and Kiefer. You’re damn right he’s hot! :P

Do you recommend anything to readers that are trying to get into the photography industry?

A: Understand that photography takes skill, intelligence, and the right equipment. You don’t have to have the best of the best to produce the greatest results, but you do need to have enough that will give you the versatility you require in a job as demanding as this.

M: Be patient. There is a lot of competition out there!
Do you recommend any book(s) or movie(s)?
M: My Aunt gave me an Autobiography for Christmas this past year. It is nothing related to photography, but it does make you realize how sometimes life is a struggle, but with some determination, you *can* make it through. The Doctor Will Not See You Now, The Autobiography of a Blind Physician by Jane Poulson.I also am a big fan of the movie, The Notebook. I just wish though that it was The Photo Album. I am *sure* that she would have had an easier time remembering if there were pictures!

A: Books, no. Movies, a bunch, but they aren’t photo related! Okay, except One Hour Photo! Creepy and brilliant!

What is the most important thing photography has taught you about yourself?

A: It’s taught me to appreciate life and keep memories permanent. Life doesn’t last forever and it must be preserved – of course doing a high-school co-op program in a funeral home helped shape this view as well!

M: You are really making me think! It always reminds me how mortal I am… how mortal we all are. It’s sad to think, but I do often wonder… how many of the photographs I take will end up in a funeral home? You think that you are going to be around forever, then someone you know your own age dies is. Then you start looking for photographs of the two if you together, maybe you took them, or perhaps someone else… I think you understand how this is going.

What is the most interesting thing about photography?

A: That every picture or image can be captured a bunch of different ways, therein making it a completely different image all together or changing the tone, emotion, or story behind it.

M: I find it interesting how the technology has changed through the generations. Years ago families dressed up and “sat” for a photographer. Then when my parents were kids, more families had cameras and were able to take some of the candid shots. Now, everyone seems to have a camera so pictures aren’t nearly as special as they were years ago. It takes a photographer to make the images special… when else do you have the whole family in a shot?

Have you met anyone famous while working as a photographer?

A: I have met K-OS and Sean Hewitt. (A guy opening for K-OS) They’re both excellent guys.

M: Sean Hewitt was much more conversational that evening, he actually came looking for us to chat!

What don’t you like about photography?

A: At times, I don’t like lugging around all the equipment. It doesn’t matter how many dollies, carts or tool boxes you have, it can be a pain!

M: I would like to rephrase that… the more carts, bags, stands, and tool boxes you have, the bigger pain it is!

Is there anything you would like to add to the interview that has not been covered, and you think it is important for people to know?

A: Stay positive, keep smiling, and be yourself. Always.

M: If you are considering having a friend or family member shoot your wedding because “they have a really nice camera”, please reconsider. Hire someone with experience. Your wedding day only happens once, you don’t want anything to go wrong.

No comments: