Wednesday, October 3, 2007

My First Assigment as a WRITER!!!

Dear Reader,

Yesterday my writing was triumphant in my night course. I was able to get up infront of the class and read my heart and soul out. Sure at times tears were brought to my eyes and my heart was worn on my sleeve. There really was no other options for me last night though. So with you I share my first writing assignment, which earned an A:

Why Do I Write
The feeling of the keys clicking underneath my fingertips is a place I call home. Waiting with glee for the printer to finish putting the last touches of ink on the product. The warmth of the sheets as they come shooting out of the photocopier. Sometimes writing just comes, flowing out of my brain directly to my fingers without a second thought. The smooth casing of the pencil gliding through my hand as I etch a code known only to me. The scratching of the lead on the paper, making a reality of such thoughts.
Never really have been asked why I write, and the answer is multifarious. In this place, I can write whatever I want and not be judged. I can encourage, inform, motivate, and ponder when my fingers start keyboarding. Captivating people and predicting their response for a sense of accomplishment. Telling my stories for the few that want to hear them. Percolating ideas, not just my own but arousing other peoples ideas. Saying goodbye to something that was very dear to me and has passed on to the greener pastures up in the heavens. To release emotion and not have it weigh deep within the depths of my stomach. Repeating those angry words, which you could not release for fear of how hurt the other person might feel or the thought of how painful the outcome could be. Creating humour, allowing people to express laughter, the most healing emotion of them all. The opportunity to be calm and rid the tempestuous anxiety for a few minutes. Becoming at one with the environment and self, knowing that everything is going to be ok even when it’s not.
Writing is not just a passion or job but a tool of many kinds. It can carve, chisel, burn, hammer and so many other actions. Without writing life would be a blank canvas without any paint splashed upon it. Without any colour or pictures to create emotion in its audience. With no place to put my ideas, whether it be on display or even a private show, emotions would be left inside, boiling like an angry pot of water that never gets taken off the stove. Writing is my sanctuary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
Your piece on writing was amazing! So descriptive and well written, I haven't seen you use many of those words before. It must be the inspiration you're getting from your class. My Writer's Craft class did the same for me! You're awesome, keep writing! I'll be looking for more!

Maven