Sunday, October 7, 2007

Return of KOJAK THE LUMBER JACK (just slightly different!)



Part 1 - The initial cut and the first TIMBERRRR!!!!!!
Part 2 - Ferrying the loads of limbs to the trailer
Part 3 - Carrying the last reminants of the tree to be put in the truck. A job well done!


Dear Reader,

From previous posts you can tell that I am a jack of all trades. I bake, cross stitch, knit, tend to my blog (THE MOST IMPORTANT OF THEM ALL!) and do a variety of other things. Well I seem to have inherited that trait from my dad. His full time job is being a veterinarian, and of course with the funny farm and the addition of the cows he can call himself a farmer too. He also dabbles in woodworking, mild mechanics and a variety of other things when there is something that needs fixing. Well today was interesting because my dad brought me along on a journey that took him to his co-worker Betty’s house to cut down a tree that had died this year in her yard. Now this is no task for the average joe, you have to be well skilled in the using of a chain saw and then be tidy because you are doing a job for someone. Here’s where the funny part comes in, before I was born my dad had a shaved head (right to the skin) and a handle bar mustache, and his nickname was KOJAK THE LUMBER JACK. It’s funny how today he had reverted back to his roots and entered the wood cutting skill of Kojack once again. While dad was slicing and dicing the dead tree I went around Betty’s backyard and took snapshots of things that I thought were interesting or I just really liked. Then it came to be work time for me. Dad had chopped a fair bit of the tree down, actually all the limbs, so we started the easy task of ferrying them to the trailer and coming back with an empty wheelbarrow ready to take another load.. Once that part was done dad had to do the final job of actually making it look like the tree didn’t exist, the final cut that truly opened up the back yard. With one swift stroke with the chainsaw it was as if the tree had never been rooted there before. Betty was happy that we were able to do her a favour as well as visit with us. She was so thankful that she showered us with gifts before we left. So that goes to show you dear reader that not all good deeds go unnoticed.

COWS

My dear calflings are doing excellent. They have large round bellies that never go empty for even the slightest second. They have whiskers like an old man and they are only 3 months for Ben and Sparty and 2 months for Newt. Today was interesting though, and I will tell you why. I took the feed out tonight and was able to get it all ready before the HERD came rushing over to get their din din. It was great because I was able to get a picture of the rush and the dash over, everyone mooing with excitement that they were getting fed. The cows and calves are a great pleasure of mine and I have really enjoyed watching them grow. Even when you can see the slightest bit of weight gain on them, you feel a true sense of accomplishment. I am going to leave you with some pictures of the darlings because I haven’t in a while. Enjoy, hopefully as much as I do!

Ben, Newt, and Sparty enjoying their dinner.

No comments: