Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Second Can't Always Be Better Than the First

This is my second piece of writing that I read tonight in my Creative Writing course. The task was to write about a person, a character within your life. Now in writer terms you are spoused to 'show don't tell'. The task was challenging and earned me a decent grade but before I read it I knew it was a little to much tell. I was at a point where I couldn't change what I has prepared, so I stuck to my guns. Enjoy!


Write About A Person


Her real name is Kimmy, but she responds to many other names; Duckie being her most favourite. At the youthful age of 19, she intends to make her dreams come true by riding to success. To her the world is harmless, and she is quite naïve; probably hasn’t been hurt by many yet to callous her warm heart. Eyes radiating with happiness, except when full concentration is necessary. Brown hair with strands of sunshine, tucked precisely under a helmet for protection. The classic style of her riding is becoming forgotten in the competitive horse world, which sets Kimmy apart from the rest. The other half of Kimmy is her trusty mount known as Avis.


An older horse, but competitive in all sense of the word, Avis is Kimmy’s partner. A large, beautiful black horse with a troubled past, is finally given the second chance he deserves. Avis with a heart of gold, carries his captain around with the utmost of confidence, listening solely to what she tells him, seldom questioning her commands. At shows his alter ego is Mystere, a show horse presented professionally, keen to jump to new heights. In the sport of horseback riding, “Actions speak louder then words,” is but a figment of the truth.


For both, this is a new beginning; with each other and in the sport. Avis had a few riders before but his chemistry with Kimmy is special. With each beat of his canter, their bond becomes stronger. They share a language known only to them. Arguments go on unspoken, and a grudge is never held. The pair equal an explosion of passion, promise and classic style. The bond formed between the two is unique to say the least. The norm for a bond to be formed is years, so they are moving at a stellar pace in the three months they have been together. Avis trusts Kimmy and has the belief that he can do anything. Kimmy is learning that trust must be reciprocated to make the partnership stronger.


One day Kimmy could be an Olympian. For now she is working on getting her career started, and I am lucky and proud to say that I am her coach.

No comments: