Thursday, August 7, 2008

Should I or Shouldn't I Donate? That's the Question



Dear Reader,


I often turn down stores when they ask if I would like to make a charitable donation. I get tired of it, I'm not a money pit and I certainly can't afford to provide for others when providing for myself can be tough. Today was different though. As I was cashing out at the local Walmart, I was asked if I wanted to donate a $1 to the Red Cross. I thought for a minute, maybe one day I will need the help of the Red Cross. If I donate a buck now maybe that will help me later in life. So I looked at the cashier and said sure. I wasn`t positive at the moment about doing so but I did it anyway and now, after some time has passed I`m glad I did cause that dollar could help me one day in the future. Then as I was walking out I was asked by a lady for a donation for missing children in Canada. I was in a charitable mood so I gave $2 and then was told that there are 66,000 missing kids in Canada. I was shocked to hear that, and even worse was that I had no idea the number was that large. I was given a little sheet that gave me some factoids and stuff regarding missing children and children that are exploited. Some things I already knew, ex. Most kids that are abducted are taken by somebody they know, like a relative or family member, OR internet abductions are increasing at an alarming rate.


Things I didn`t Know (some are quite disturbing.... but we need to know):


-More than 2300 children are reported missing daily in North America


-74% of children abducted by a stranger, who are murdered, are dead within the first three hours of their abduction


-Most child abductions occur within a ¼ mile of the child's home


-1 in 3 boys and 1 in 2 girls are victims of unwanted sexual advances before they reach the age of 18


-While surfing the internet, more than 1 in 5 children between the ages of 10 and 17 are victims of sexual advances by sexual predators


So when you are thinking of turning down certain charities ponder how this may affect you. I don't have kid(s) now but I may in the future and I would want to know that they could receive help from an organization that is designated to do so. I would want my kid(s) protected and implement things that would help in case they did get lost, such as Child ID/DNA Clinics, Investigative Services, Child ID kits, etc. Like I said before, we can't afford to support every charity because we all aren't millionaires but when you hear shocking information such as what I have shared above with you, then maybe when certain charities tug at your heart strings we need to consider possible future uses.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are truthful, honest, brash, and you cut right through the bullshit. Quite honestly, you scared the shit out of me. I'm going to camp out on Aidan's floor tonight in a sleeping bag. Very true though, try looking up at the wall as you're leaving a Walmart...