Monday, August 4, 2008

Education Investigation!!!!






Dear Reader,

I was reading the Sunday Star Paper and in the 10 Things I Learned This Week there was some very educational information. ENJOY!

-The wind speed of the average sneeze is tornado force – 200 km/h.

-Suppressing a sneeze can (but usually doesn't) cause nosebleed, a burst eardrum, nasal cartilage fracture, a detached retina and, in extremely rare cases, stroke or aneurysm.

-Buddy Ebsen, best known as Jed Clampett in tv's Beverly Hillbillies, had to drop the role of Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz because of a severe allergice reaction to the aluminum powder makeup.

-Terry, the cairn terrier that played Toto in The Wizard of Oz, made $125 a week – more than many of the actors earned.

-Swimming's front crawl, also known as the Australian crawl, is an adaptation of the stroke used by natives of the Solomon Islands, and was first unveiled in 1902 during a championship in England.

-The first swim fins were invented by U.S. Founding father Benjamin Franklin, who created ones shaped like lily pads, which he wore on his hands.

-The sardine, named after the island of Sardinia, is not a species of fish but rather a group of small, oily, saltwater fish including sprat and young herring.

-Up until the mid-1600s, French wine producers used oil-soaked rags, not corks, as stoppers.

-Malaysia's pen-tailed tree shrews are alcoholics, regularly consuming naturally fermented palm nectar “beer”, their primary food source.

-Cenosillicaphobia is the term for fear of an empty glass.

MY THOUGHTS......(the most important part of this entry!)

If we are having a tornado size amount of air riled up when we have one sneeze, what is it called when we have a sneeze attack... a monson..... a typhoon.....gale force winds? From this picture I gather that sneezing can be quite dangerous!

I have to say that quite frequently I suppress my sneezes because if I don't it sprays everywhere (yeah I know, it's gross). So there was no mention that you are killing brain cells like I was told all my life by my parents... does that mean that it was a myth to scare me into not holding my sneezes in, or in the really high risk situations it does kill brain cells because that's what happens when you have a stroke or an aneurysm. Might as well include some proper etiquette!


Who knew that the Tin Man's make up was actually Aluminum Powder. I wonder if that had any lasting side effects ......because you would be applying a metallic powder to your skin, sounds like a bad combo to me..... EtchaSketch used Aluminum powder but that was why it was in a plastic casing I guess.

Toto was one rich son of a bitch... literally. Just think of how he could use the money today, going to the doggy cares that are top of the notch, spa treatments, nails painted, a little bow made of major bling bling attached to his collar... This isn't a picture of Toto but I'm sure he has this shirt already!

I have to say that Ben Franklin's swim fins remind me of the Frog guy from the Xmen. His hands were really weird and I think they used Ben's idea, .....is that Copyright/ Patent infringement? This is the modern day version...

They say that sardines are not a type of fish but then they say in the exact same sentence that they belong to group of small, oily, saltwater fish. Doesn't that still make them a fish....

The French already had the idea for Molotov Cocktails before they even were used as weapons... The major difference is they didn't light the other end of the rag!

So there are mammals that are allowed to be chronic alcoholics, they just don't have to go anywhere. But maybe on the other hand we should have a beer for the poor tree shrew because it's not the cutest animal on the planet and blurred vision may help it to look cuter!

Fear of an empty glass... damn, that describes a lot of people I know, and that's not just people that drink either. I think I prefer a full glass over an empty one too, what about you?! I wonder what the term for a fear of an empty plate is.... I think I may suffer from that one.

No comments: