Thursday, May 4, 2017

Life Without Limits

Life Without LimitsLife Without Limits by Nick Vujicic
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have followed Nick Vujicic for quite some time so if people are reading this there is a heavy religious content to this book. I was able to read the book, enjoy it and not have the religious content take away from the message.

This book was about his life and certain challenges he had to face since he was born with no limbs, only his 'chicken drumstick' as he says. He has not let his disability hinder the way he lives his life one inkling, which was empowering bc I was (and still am) going through a rough time in my life and reading this book I thought would give me some chutzpah to start making a difference in my life. Almost immediately I was making goals with my therapist, meeting said goals and some times even surpassing them, so I felt this book really did give me some hope. Nick reflects throughout the book that he is “Ridiculously happy,” and that is something I want to be but even just plain old happy would be just fine for me! There were sad parts in the book that he discusses and mentions and it really made me think about the situations that he went through. Now he is happily married and has two kids. He's been skydiving, scuba diving, surfing and so much more. (He learned to surf from Bethany Hamilton who is a legend in the surfing community herself). When he discusses learning how to do things for the first time there is so much enthusiasm, it's almost infectious. This was a great book to read.

Nb - Even though he didn't recognize this when he wrote the book, there are a lot of examples and demonstrations of using the DBT Principles and Skills. I found this really great because I go to DBT therapy and use it throughout my own life, so if you are looking for a good read about DBT Skills (without even knowing it) this would be your book.

No comments: