Thursday, May 4, 2017

The Children Act

The Children ActThe Children Act by Ian McEwan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I was recommended this book and I was leery to read it because I thought it would be a really heavy read filled with law jargon and law stuff but to my surprise I liked it so much I finished it in 4 days. Even though the author clearly states it is a work of fiction and that yes there may be some things that ring true, in real life there have been instances where the courts have taken over and made a decision based on the best interest of the child or person. I never really understood why Jehovah's Witness people didn't take blood transfusions and found it very interesting the meaning behind it. Do I agree with it, NO, but as you already know I'm not religious and I think that if you really need one then you need one. Having to be a judge and decide that for somebody is a very interesting twist with lots of turns involved. I thought the writing was on point because the main character didn't seem to be a upbeat kind of woman, she seemed very sombre and serious. (To be honest, if I was her hubby I would have left her but that's another story of its own.) The ending is kind of bittersweet but sorrowful as well. Don't worry I'm not going to give it up, you have to read the book (or listen or whatever you do) to get it. I was thoroughly interested in this book all the way, loved the writing, pretty much loved everything about it.

No comments: