Thursday, May 4, 2017

Stories of Your Life and Others

Stories of Your Life and OthersStories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a collection of short stories. The main reason I bought it was because of the “The Story of Your Life,” which is what the movie Arrival (2017) is based on. The recommendation I read said that if you read the story and watch the movie it totally brings everything together full circle. There are a few differences when comparing the two but it did essentially bring them together. The other short stories in the book I enjoyed were A) Understand, B) Hell is the Absence of God, C) Liking What You See – A Documentary. While none of the stories are officially linked, I was able to find certain meanings that were in all of them. Some were core values while others were as simple as don't give up on your faith. All the stories had a different narrator voice, which is hard work so I really appreciate how good Chiang is at his craft. This book was a very pleasant surprise as well as a very thought provoking read towards the way you operate within the parameters of your life.

No comments: