Thursday, May 4, 2017

The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy

The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy (Harold Fry, #2)The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy by Rachel Joyce
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

NB – This is essentially the other half to the Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry

This story is told from the perspective of Queenie Hennessy. I have to admit right off the bat that I was not overly impressed with this book. It wasn't half as good as Harold Fry. I guess the thing that got to me was Queenie is in an assisted living home due to major health issues. She has memories of the past and has this purpose to write Harold Fry a letter since she finds out he is making a pilgrimage to see her. There is excitment in the assisted living house and the other residents are looking forward to meeting and greeting Harold Fry. The depressing part is that it is a long pilgrimage and slowly but surely the residents that Queenie has built relationships with, die. I found that part really depressing, especially the way that Joyce wrote about it. I know it's not meant to be happy or anything but it was sad because these people were so excited to meet Harold. There were a few characters which I really disliked in the book and yes you were probably meant to dislike them but they were just really annoying and entitled. The small descriptions of Queenie's home on the seaside were lovely but there wasn't really any other descriptions except for what the home was like and the garden at the home. I don't know Rachel Joyce, I kind of expected your next book to be the other half of the story but I sure hoped it would be as good as Harold Fry. Disappointing.

No comments: