Friday, July 28, 2017

Animal Farm

Animal FarmAnimal Farm by George Orwell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I chose this book because it was a Penguin Modern Classic and it was involving animals. Little did I know that it was going to be a book full of metaphors. When I started reading, I wasn't really in to it. Things started to happen and I really started to enjoy the book. I am surprised that I enjoyed it so much because the basis is very political and reflects the events leading up to the Russian Revolution of 1917. I did find that sometimes I would be reading and I would forget that the characters were animals instead of people. There was a lot of core values in this book, which I really enjoyed because core values are very important to me and how I live my life. I would have to say that my favourite characters were Boxer (the strong horse), Benjamin (the donkey) and Clover (the mare). There was a lot of cheating and lying and the pigs did whatever they wanted to get whatever they needed. I found Napoleon and Squealer to be quite overbearing and liars. They didn't really care about the farm and it's animals as much as they said they did. They cared about making a profit and living a cushy lifestyle. It was a little disturbing how the rules kept changing and the animals were surprised that they hadn't realized the certain words before. (This had me flipping back to the original commandments to make sure I didn't miss something.) Although Orwell used this book to portray the events leading up to the Russian Revolution, I couldn't help but relate it to the current situation of the Trump government and how they are conducting themselves. Therefore, I believe this story has happened many times in history and can be related back to it just changing who the references and characters pertain to. Thoroughly enjoyed this book and I am surprised by how much I did enjoy it.


View all my reviews

No comments: