Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Who Do You Want to Hear From?

Dear reader the quest for celebrity interviews continues, I have looked into getting someone from the Hills (which would be really fabu), also I made a list of some other actors in the entertainment industry that I might like to hear from. The list has quite a few Canadian actors, as well as a few American actors. I have just looked into getting Neil Crone to be the first Canadian celebrity to be on my blog. He’s a really witty person and everything he says, ends up being really funny. He’s a very intelligent and committed to many various areas of the entertainment industry, (ie. hosting, motivational speaking, theatre, stand up comedy, etc.). I think he would be good because he would have a lot of good information to share. As for you dear reader, I would like to hear from you, who would you like to hear from. I am willing to dig a fair bit to see if I can actually make contact with these people. Please do make a suggestion if you would really like to hear from someone in particular. Some of the people I am wanting to hear from: Catherine O’Hara, Ron Jeremy, Linwood Barclay, Tyra Banks, Ellen Degeneres, Jay Manuel, etc., just to name a few.

Book Review – Race Against Time by Stephen Lewis

So first of all I will tell you who Stephen Lewis is because I am sure that most readers will not know who he is. Stephen Lewis is the UN Secretary General’s special envoy for HIV/AIDS in Africa. He is also the director of the Stephen Lewis Foundation. He has been named “Canadian of the Year” by Maclean’s magazine in 2003 and on of the most influential people in the world by TIME magazine in 2005. He specializes in doing things within the category of humanitarian activities.
Now the book.
The book was a major eye opener for me because it brought to my attention how much problems there actually are in Africa. The main cause of the problem, from what Lewis has found is : not enough funding to help countries in dire need, HIV/AIDS is taking over Africa by leaving many children without parents and then having to provide for whatever family is left, equality between males and females, and making education available to all children. Many of the countries that are part of a team to help fund Africa with these projects are not contributing the amount as promised; meanwhile children are dying of hunger and sickness, while the people within the wealthy countries live a lavish life. The book is a total of 5 chapters discussing the various areas in depth, but keep in mind that all the chapters are lectures that Lewis himself has given to various groups. There is also a preface and an afterword. Another thing I really liked about the book was there was a glossary of terms in the back stating what the different short forms for agencies were and stood for and also words that were commonly used within the continent of Africa. The book was not a hard read at all but there was a lot of information that just made me sit back and realize how lucky I really am. I suggest that people read this book because it will get the message out there how truly in need of help Africa is.

Movie Review – Babel

I normally don’t review a movie right after I watch it because I want to let the movie digest in my brain. This movie was a little bit confusing but eventually by the end of the movie you realize how it all fits together. Like the movie CRASH, all the characters within the movie end up being connected to each other in some way shape or form. I think this is one of the movies that Brad Pitt actually looked old, for the character he was playing. He was able to convey his panic and his worry really well, normally I find him a cardboard cut out but this time he was very good. Cate Blanchett’s character role wasn’t that big, she really got good money for what she had to do I’m sure because she basically lies around moaning and such because she is shot. A new comer to the film industry is Rinko Kikuchi, she plays the deaf mute girl in the film. I was in awe by her character and how well she portrayed all the emotion that her character had inside herself. I definitely agree with her being nominated for an Oscar, I’m not sure if she won it though because I didn’t watch it. We also get to see Gael Garcia Bernal (the guy from the MOTORCYCLE DIARIES), he plays a good guy when everything is going ok and then he turns into a total dick when there starts to be a bit of a problem. The movie brought a lot of thoughts and ideas to mind, I definitely liked this movie way better than 21 GRAMS. I would say though the movie you either like it for a variety of reasons or you totally dislike it. I think that I liked it a lot because it was very thought provoking and interesting, but I can definitely see someone truly hating the film because it bounces all over the area.

No comments: