Friday, August 31, 2018

Everything Beautiful Is Not Ruined

Everything Beautiful Is Not RuinedEverything Beautiful Is Not Ruined by Danielle Younge-Ullman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

WARNING – This books contains issues that may be triggering for some people. The issues for this book are bullying, sexual assault, and suicide.

I have to say, there are mixed feelings with this book. While part of me really liked the Peak Wilderness adventures, I didn't really care for the rest of the book. I didn't dislike it enough to quit it (as it filled the dual-timeline portion for the 52 book challenge and another spot in the Book Bingo challenge), but when it got to certain parts I was just like “Yeah, so... This happens and it sucks but it does happen to other people.” Also, I will admit that the concept escaped me until the last pages of the book. I'm not sure if that was because I had missed information or details or the regular parts weren't jiving with me. The Peak Wilderness adventures, damn... they were the best parts and they were so detailed and described as if you were watching a movie. I loved those parts and lived for those parts, lucky for me they were the majority of the book. I give props to Ingrid because I would not have completed the camp and would have acted like a dick so that I could go home asap. Her tenacious attitude to tackle the challenge was commendable and inspirational. I will apply that attitude to things that are more my style but camping and being out in the woods is definitely not one of them. Overall, I would give this book a 2.5 because the mixed feelings aren't enough to sway me but I'll be generous and give it a 3 on GoodReads. The premise was interesting but figuring out the backstory as to why it was just didn't explain it quick enough.


View all my reviews

No comments: