Friday, August 31, 2018

Norse Mythology

This book was a pleasant surprise. I have always been a fan of mythology (Greek and Roman) since I was a little kid. I never knew anything about Norse mythology because it was never taught in school. I knew about Valhalla but that is more of a Viking concept although it did pop up in this book once. This book is a collection of stories, which is a nice break as you read a few pages and there is a different tale in the next few pages. The main players in Norse mythology are Odin, Thor, Loki, Heimdall, and plenty of other characters that have names that I wouldn't dare try to say. If you have watched any Thor movies you will see the characters but they are quite different than what you see. Thor, for lack of a better word is a DICK. He has this “I'm so special, I'm so great, I'm ready to obliterate!” attitude. Loki is a brother to Odin, where as in the films he is a partial brother to Thor. Loki is much more of a trickster in the tales than in the movies. Heimdall is the same and the BiFrost is under his watch. Essentially the mythology is the same as Greek and Roman, there is just different people and characters but they emulate the traditional Greek and Roman mythology. Ie. The fate of the humans and gods are determined by the Fates, the idea of Ragnorak which is similar to the end of days. I found this book so interesting and an easy read, therefore giving it a 4 star review. The book I read by Neil Gaiman previously (Coraline) was horrible and couldn't stand it, so I gave this book a try to see what he had to offer. I was really happy that his writing and subject matter gave him a second chance/ a chance at redemption.

No comments: