Monday, August 27, 2007

Creative Writing x2 and More Cow News!

Dear Reader,

So I finally did it. I signed up for a course that is really close to home to expand my knowledge on creative writing. I will admit that I am excited because it will only help me with my new found passion. I have found that within the last year that I love to write. I write about absolutely anything as you well know. Hopefully this course will encourage me to write more wonderful assignments that I can post on here for your viewing pleasure.

Next topic….

Yesterday, we de-horned my little calf Spartacus. The process wasn’t nearly as bad as the method of ‘gouging”. With the method of gouging, what the instrument is, is like a long pair of pliers with sharp ends that go into the calf’s skull and take out the horn buds. After taking out the bud it is normal procedure to then stick a cauterizing iron into the gouge area to stop the bleeding. I am not sure whether this method is done with freezing or not but it is way to bloody for me to even think about doing it to the poor little guy. So there is another method of actually burning the horn off. What it is, is a butane torch with a little cup shaped figure on the end. The idea is to put the cup shaped area over the horn and gradually burn the horn to the base of the bud so that there is no blood supply therefore the horn cannot grow. My dad gave Sparty more freezing then necessary, and I will admit that I was unsure how I was going to be able to endure this, even though I wasn’t the one getting the procedure done. So before you start burning anything you insert a needle just above the eye area to the base of the nerve that goes to the horn bud. The needle has the freezing so you are freezing the nerve which in turn will freeze the horn bud and the horn. Then you heat up the butane touch till it is nice and hot. You place the mini horn in the cup shaped area and then kind of rotate the burner around so that you are burning the horn. Because Sparty had a fair bit of hair around the little nibs the smell was of burning hair. Then you gradually press a little deeper. Eventually the first little cap will come off of the mini horn. Dad chose to burn the left-over mini horn to ensure that he was doing a good job. Now as a mother watching I thought it would be disturbing but really it was the opposite and quite fascinating. When the cows grow horns think of it as if they are growing finger nails, that’s the analogy my dad gave me.

Next topic….

So we now have a bull on the property to pleasure my 4 big ladies. They will be coming into season soon so he will definitely have his hands full. The bull’s name is JR. It’s kind of funny because he is this massive sized cow, not something I would really call JR, I would probably name it GIGANTOR or something of the like, but oh well! JR, is a black angus cow, all black no white at all, he has a little bald patch on his head from rubbing it on things but hey some men go bald it’s ok! It’s really funny because he is always checking out the ladies making sure they are ‘ripe’ for the taking. There has been no breeding going on that we know of but whatever happens at night is between JR and his ladies. The babies are loving having a male figure around. They look up to him like a father figure, often playing around him and making sillyness in his presence. JR doesn’t really care! Although yesterday JR got to the notion that he was going to have a drink of milk from Molly like the babies do. He got in there and was sucking away, probably sucking the life out of dear Molly, poor girl! Finally she got irritated with his rudeness and started trying to walk away. The best thing was that JR had total milk mouth and face just like the babies do. He definitely had a treat that he was not expecting, that’s for sure! Pics to come soon, I have to get off my butt and take them.

Next topic…

Just for you keener readers that have checked out my friend Meg’s blog, the address has changed once again, :
http://stay-at-home-maven.squarespace.com/
Like I have said before she’s a really good writer and the things she writes about are fantastic. She rants and raves about some things like the best of us bloggers do. So stay tuned at this site to see what next funny adventure she’ll take you on!

For now I have said my piece. Don’t forget that it is the Hills tonight people so I will write a blog post right after the show. Should be quite interesting, so stay tuned here for the latest Hills re-cap! I have also decided that I want to put more pics on the blog. It has been proven that readers retain and enjoy reading more if there is some visual stimuli so I am hoping to do that for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

S,
Referring to the writing portion of this post: That's awesome! Good for you! A lot of people enjoy writing and aren't brave enough to take a course, so good on ya!
As for me...I have always enjoyed reading, and I guess writing grew out of that. My step dad was a real inspiration for me, since for most of the time I've known him, he's made a living as a freelance writer. When I moved during the last year of high school, I took a course at my new school called 'writer's craft'. This was a great outlet for the aspiring writer and one of the course requirements was to try to write a novel. They say that everyone has a novel in them...I'd say that's true. The only trouble is finding the time and the inspiration to write it. I enjoy your writing very much, so keep it up and keep working at it, and if someday you do write that novel, I'd love to read it!

~Maven

P.s Thanks for the mention again in your blog! Shucks. Your compliments make me blush. Check out my blog links list in my sidebar...you might find a familiar name ;)

Anonymous said...

S,
Yes, I am commenting on this post. Again. Actually, it's not really about this post, but about your blog in general. I love it! I've been perusing through some of your older posts and they are hilarious! You've made me laugh out loud several times.

Now here comes the constructive criticism part (lol): The only thing that I've been wanting when reading your posts is more of an index. You have archives by date...but what about labels? Like I just read this one post that was horny and absolutely hilarious, but if I wanted to find more posts about sex, or about movie reviews or book reviews, I'd have to scroll through each and every page. If you labeled your posts and put a list of labels on your sidebar, it would be easier for your readers (especially the newer ones) to zero in on all their favourite topics...
Just something for you to ponder.

~Maven