Saturday, August 18, 2007

Toronto Zoo, Matt Dusk = FABU!!!

Matt Dusk @ Toronto Zoo, August 18 started @ 6:30
Dear Reader,

I have had a fair bit of excitement in my life for a change.

TUES
I met with my friend Sharon for a ladies lunch. Tracey was supposed to be there but things changed and she let me know at the last minute that she would not be coming. I know that ladies lunch is something that both Sharon and I look forward to. We meet once a month and have a blast. No subject is left unturned. It’s great. Sharon and I meet in Stouffville at this place called DA CLASSIC SCOOP. I had never been there before so I really didn’t know what to expect. When we walk in we see tons of vintage pictures and posters everywhere and décor of the restaurant is vintage as well. Sharon and I were waiting for menus which never did arrive because they don’t have them, silly us! SO we go to the front of the store and there is bakery counter in front of the register and back counter. In this counter you wouldn’t believe all the hand made baked goods there was ie. Gingerbread cookies with different icing patterns, rice krispie squares that were huge, various fudge squares and fudge with nuts, a mix variety of cookies that were as large as a saucer plate. I had a trusty grilled cheese with chips and Sharon had a greek salad and we both finished it off with a scoop of ice cream. If you are looking for a restaurant that is small but good and reasonable prices this is the place to go. Sharon and I really enjoyed our meal and even better, we found a new place to eat.

THURS
In the afternoon I went to a friends’ house to visit and help her out with the kids a little. The dad was home so we were able to take her son to the park while the baby slept but she was awake when we were back. The kids are cute as buttons. The little boy is 3 years old and he is a riot. Some of the things he says are just so cute. Ex. His mum asked him “What does your balloon say” (Balloon was on his chair and it was his birthday), he gives mum a really odd look and says “mum balloons no talk, they have no mouth!” Isn’t the phrase “out of the mouths of babes, words of wisdom come”, well that’s what I am saying, I was able to witness some other little bits that were really cute as well. When we got home we played in the sprinkler and then had some more snacks. Being with the kids is doing two things 1- getting me desensitize and actually liking kids and 2- remembering certain things about my childhood ie. The music, the toys, the cartoons and outfits. I like being around the kids, it’s refreshing to say the least.

Today – SAT
Well today takes the cake. My dad was working so I got some stupid chores done the night is what makes today special. I braved the crowds and ventured with my dad to the zoo for the jazz festival. The concert was performed by Matt Dusk and his band. He is similar to Michael Buble but not the same by any means. The concert at the zoo was very intimate and he told some stories which was really nice. I had never really listened to any of his music but I was glad he had a few tunes that Buble sang. Dusk’s voice was really good and he could speed up or slow down on a dime. I really liked his fast songs although he sang some slow ones that had already touched my heart so hearing him do them was a real treat. His band was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. The drummer was really great and he knew exactly what he was doing. His piano man, fingers that made music like silk, as if he was spinning it himself, he got a few claps because he was that good. The guitarist, bassist and sax man were all great too. The best thing was that each member of the band was given a solo number at some point within quite a few songs. Dusk made sure to acknowledge them and say a thank you to them personally while the audience clapped at their astounding music. At one point Dusk got down from the stage and started dancing with people, now the people danced with were not fluent in the dancing he was doing but he was twirling them around and such, I said to dad at one point “Wow, he’s really throwing those broads around!” Memories of dancing with him will be kept with those that did FOREVER! At the end Dusk encourage people to buy cd’s and other goodies with a large portion of the proceeds going to breast cancer research. That really impressed me, helping a cause instead of pocketing the money, that’s a great deed for a celeb wouldn’t you say? Dad and I had a great time and there were no complaints from either of us (yeah I know what a rarity….). We had a genuine good time! Success at last!!!


No comments: