Saturday, August 4, 2007

Newt Breakthrough and My Student Kimmy and Avis


So loyal readers,

I want to talk about 2 things.

NEWT
So tonight I was inspired to start leading Newt. My dad wasn’t feeling well so I decided that I was going start working with Newt. Since Sparty and Ben are usually done at the same time, there was no way I was going to catch both of them and have a decent walk. So I fed the mums and made sure that Newt was in the corner so that I would have an easier time catching him for the first time. I caught him but it took me too long to get the halter on him and he escaped. I didn’t think that I was going to have much luck with catching him again but I corralled him into the same corner and worked faster at getting the halter on him. He was backing up and acting funny but no different then Ben or Sparty when they first started being led. I did get a few steps that were good for starting him out though. I am really proud of him because I was able to catch him and do it all by myself. I wouldn’t have been able to do this without watching my dad do it with Ben and Sparty so I owe my tricks to him.

My Student KIM
I have a girl, Kim riding my horse Avis. I mentioned this in the previous email. She is an amazing rider. We are going to be going to a few fairs to see if she can win some money. I don’t really want to start out that way, I would like to do schooling shows first but she is a student and she’s not made of money, neither am I for that matter. We have to work around her draft horse show schedule which is totally fine by me. She currently is in Ottawa, hopefully winning with her team that she shows. We have one possible fair this month, but it’s next month that has a lot of options. While Kim is away I have been doing a bit of leg work and trying to find places that we could go and practice at. I have found about 25-27 places that we can work at. Now all we have to do is book one and go practice and see how it goes. I am really looking forward to seeing Kim show Avis!

No comments: