Saturday, January 6, 2007

Home Sweet Home

Dear reader, I have moved for my third time this year and it just makes me hate the process even more. Luckily I have not had to move absolutely everything I own it has been between the 2 houses so it hasn’t been as inconvenient as it really could be. I now have my comp at the farm house and my fishies are with me, I am starting to feel like I am home again but because I have been a ping pong ball between the 2 houses it will take a little bit to sink in that I am going to be staying here for good til I decided to move on. This time my dad helped me move, which was a lot easier on me because I have a bad back and all. I think my dad is more happy that I finally moved all my stuff over here then I am, but I truly do hate the process of moving. I did quite a few laps up and down the stairs at the farm house though so I have done a bit of exercise outside of doing the barn in the morn. I plan to be writing to you a lot more often and trying to find stories to tell you and things to educate you.

I will let you in on a bit of literature, this is one of my very favourite poems, so when you are done reading it, take what you will from it.

The Road Not Taken By Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both,
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads onto way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I –
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Now for your education for the day.

Topic – Horse Herpes
-it’s not a sexually transmitted disease
-there was an outbreak at Churchill Downs and now it’s in PEI possibly Nova Scotia and for sure in Florida
-Symptoms (respiratory) = nasal discharge, fatigue, fever, coughing, this is for type 1,EHV-1
-causes abortions in mares, and pneumonia in foals
-it’s an airborne disease
-can be transmitted over a 10 metre distance
-usually lasts for 2 weeks
-paralytic form of the disease effects the central nervous system which causes problems with locomotion
-the paralytic form can also be life threatening
-modified live vaccines (MLV) are to be effective in preventing the disease
-once infected the horse carries the virus for the rest of it’s life in a dormant state but the virus can be re-activated by stress later on in life
-there is also an inactivated vaccine which uses dead virus particles to build immunity, this is not as effective as the MLV

Hope you have enjoyed this strange post. I just was excited that I can write to you whenever I want reader, and you will benefit by getting more posts and learning more about me and everything else I talk about. Lucky you!!

No comments: