Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Take Note, You Are Someone's Slave.

Dear Reader,

So I was inspired to write this piece because my friend Jacky, a frequent reader, is treated like a slave by my co-workers. Instead of waiting for their food or coffee, Jacky or her mother, the owner of the cafe in the building, quite often come running over to SERVE them. In this, was born a great idea. I was going to write and list of some famous slaves so that Jacky and any other person that has to be treated like a slave would get inspired by those that came before them. There are many people that you could consider a slave but I am going to inform you, dear reader, of the slaves that I consider important.

1. Mother Teresa & My Mum – Mother Teresa was a slave to life and lived to help others. My mum is also a slave when coming to my house to make me dinner. Mum denied to be first but then quickly changed her mind when told she was going to be on the same line as Mother Teresa. Mum also considers the work that she does as a labour of love, but I translate it to mild slavery. I love my mum dearly but facts are facts.

2. Spartacus – A fantastic movie about a slave turned gladiator commands an army of pissed off gladiators all in the name of freedom. Spartacus (Kirk Douglas), parades around in a shirt dress (tunic) and looks so ripped. Not only was he a slave to freedom but to iron pumping gods such as Arnold Schwarzenneger(?). Writing this entry has caused me to answer my home telephone.... “Spartacus command centre.....”

3.Ben Hur – a slave turned daredevil chariot racer. Another great film.

4. Mark Anthony – one of the people that had a hand in Caesar's murder, was a slave of love to Cleopatra, a great heroine of all time.

5. Anyone working for Donald Trump, mum gladly added Omarosa but I am going to deny her the right of being on my list because she is a traitorious bitch. People who work for the Donald choose to be slaves to the higher power known as Trump-ism. They go over and above what is
asked and demand of them.

6. My mum's maternal Grandmother : Granny Windsor – quote directly from mum “Amazing lady, Amazing.” Completely non-judgemental, openly loving, fabulous cook and compassionate. Anyone with these such qualities is a hero and a slave to life.

7. Napoleon Dynamite – a slave to being a geek, yet one of the greatest dancers alive!

8. Michael Flatly- a slave to the shoes of dancers. He has created such fantastic shows as Lord of the Dance and Riverdance.

9. Chefs such as Julia Child, Carlo Rota, Jamie Oliver, Anna Olson, Gordon Ramsay, (thanks to him for the exercise of SWEAR WEEK)

10. James Archibald - a slave to the modern medicine of animals, my Dad's hero. He wrote a surgery textbook and was world reknowned for his surgical prowess. (Dad really thought he was his own hero and took a little extra time to come up with this one but it is a good contribution.)

11. Great Writers such as Elizabeth Berg, Roald Dahl, Robert Munch, Nicholas Sparks, Ken Follett, Stephen King, William Shakespeare, Robert Frost – slaves to the pen and paper. These writers deserve to be on my list they have impacted our literary tastes and indulgances.

I hope, dear reader, you are impowered when you read this, I also hope that you have a chuckle and can understand why I put these people to my list. Mum doesn't really consider these people slaves but I do because each of them have made their life's work an adage to change. Being a slave is not always a bad thing but when abused it is. Think about people you order around, demand things from, and expect to follow you. Each and every person is a slave in their own right, whether it be a good or not. I am a slave as well to the pen and paper or, more currently the keyboard and computer screen. I write to love and I love to write, therefore I am a writer and proud to say I am a slave to the pen and paper.

No comments: