Friday, January 30, 2009

Sarah's How To....Treat People, Not Just Employees




I was called into work today for one reason to be a phone jockey. Now the idea of being a phone jockey for a certain amount of time doesn't bother me but when the boss comes back and has me do meanial tasks, like take out the garbage, recycle, clean and oh yeah my favourite...vacuum with a vacuum that couldn't even suck soup through a straw... NOW THAT makes me angry. On the whole I don't mind vacuuming my apartment, I kind of like it, but when i get asked to come to work to phone jockey when really the task is to clean up after people, I don't like that. A co-worker has just realized that the vacuum I was using wasn't sucking anything at all, well that what i tried to tell the big boss but he just waved me off after he had slammed his door shut so he didnt' have to deal with the noise. Yes I understand that it can be noisy but is that reason to be snobby and slam the door...I think not.

If a co-worker or employee has a problem with the vacuum they can easily wave and convey that it is not working. This can be done in a polite gesture. Then the boss or man under can help in a timely fashion. Restoring said vacuum to full sucking capacities. See how easily and nicely I was able to get this message across. I didn't write anything obscene or in caps to reflect that I was yelling.

Another point that I want to get across is that you teach people how to treat you. Now I will admit that I do not have much place to say anything because I am employed and if I started telling people what I really thought they would fire me....probably. Now because I let said people treat me like a slave and think nothing of it, doesn't mean that I hate it. I am just biding my time shall we say, until greener pastures come around for me. I want to have you go back and reflect on the blog post You Are Someone's Slave, because that's how I feel right now.

In all honesty, I could never treat people the way my co-workers do, and to that I must acknowledge that the people they treat like slaves they don't even consider what they are asking them to do. Other people feel varying degrees about this subject and this particular set of people, but they also bite their tongue and don't say a word.

Always remember- Karma's a bitch, and it will either catch you with your dick in your hand or your pants down.
Treat people the way you want to be treated.
Classism should not exist in these times but it does so do whatever you can to discourage and avoid it.
Try and complete one good deed per day. It will make you feel better and you can say you helped someone or something.

No comments: